A Little About The Hopper....

For those unaware what exactly the "hopper" is...do not fear! Traditionally, the hopper rests in the House Chamber next to the Clerks desk. However, what rests inside the hopper is far more important. This seemingly innocent looking box is a bills' first step to potentially becoming a law. That's right, after all the necessary political mumbo-jumbo, a member of the House may place their freshly pressed new bill and hope for the best.

The Hopper here, however, is not a place for lawyer lingo or fine print. This is the People's Hopper. It's a place for all to gather, discuss what's going on with 'box hopper', and everything before, after, around and under what goes inside of it... and even the people who put it there. So...Welcome!

Monday, February 20, 2012

The Ranter and The Raver


Raised in a red state, it is no surprise that my parents raised me with a certain amount of conservative influences. Politically, this actually has not affected me as, what I presume, as many of the other children raised similar to me. In all actuality, I believe I was more influenced by a random substitute teacher I had when I was a sophomore in High School. As seemingly insignificant as my encounter with the man was, I can say it was the most infuriating day I ever had in sophomore English. For fifty minutes my fellow students and I were subjected to the ranting of an old man about how young people will never be able to run this country, his fears of not being taken care of, and how my generation will be the cause of the failure of this great nation. How dare he say such things! 
However, I do understand the foundations for his opinions; all you had to do was look around the room at the huddles of classmates not caring at all. In his mind, he was sitting in a room full of children that confirmed he was correct. I know when he looked upon me as well, that I had to be one of those frivolous children as well. Of course, no I was not. I remember being so angry at him throughout the class and the desire to prove the man wrong swelled inside me. However, I did not possess the time, tools, or ability to do so. This had made me even more frustrated and at 16 I vowed to find a way to prove this man wrong! This is typically the part where I would show my efforts and discuss how I was inspired to change the world, or something inspirational like that. Alas, that is not how my story goes. Two classes later I didn’t really give the man and his ravings another thought and I continued my day just like any other teenager would do.
Today, however, under the circumstances of a college government class, I am here with the hope of maybe making that wish come true. I hope as we each get to know one another through these blogs, that maybe those of you who had no interest, never watch the news, or who have never voted…experience the frustration that I felt when I was 16. That this makes you passionate and gives you the drive to write a senator (which I have done 4 times in my life and never received a response), vote (and actually have an idea what Joe Schmo on the ballot stands for…and not just the presidential candidates!), or even simply work on ironing out some of your feelings on hot topics (and even what you would like to be a hot topic).
Traditionally, I am aware that our country has been a two party system and today it is important and convenient when discussing local and national governments to disclose your party of choice to give a general idea about what your political ideology may be. I, however, do not consider myself a ‘republican’ or a ‘democrat’. I like to vote a split ticket, and I have learned that neither party will ever align exactly with the ideals I am for and against. On certain days I guess you could call me a conservative liberal and on others you could call me a liberal conservative. What you can call me for certain however, is a concerned citizen willing to do my part and who hopes that one day… she can make an old man rest easy that this generation was able to pull it off after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment